School Security Personnel: Interpersonal Communications
created by the Colorado School Safety Resource Center, Department of Public Safety
This module is designed as an overview of basic interpersonal communications in schools.
After completing this module, you will be familiar with:
- Different forms of non-verbal communication and their importance
- The five elements of active listening
- Confidentiality in a school setting and mandatory reporting
- Practical tips for communicating with students
- Referring and following up with a student of concern
- Available resources
Plan for about 1 hour to complete the course and review the resources.
A printable certificate of completion will be available upon completing the course. To access the certificate:
- Go to the "Home" tab and confirm you are logged in.
- Look for the "Dashboard" box on the right side of the screen.
- Click on "Certificates" and "View All Certificates." You will see a list of certificates available to you.
- Click on the "Click here for CSSRC Interpersonal Communications certificate" link.
Be sure to complete all interactivity on each page. The course will not allow you to advance prior to completing every interactive element.
Videos are included to supplement the material presented in this course. Please find the videos from this course at the following locations:
We appreciate your feedback! After completing the course, please take a few moments to complete an evaluation at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TM7B2DT.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties, please check your computer capability: click the Help tab in the TRAIN navigation bar, then click "Test Your Environment" on the left-hand menu.